Bala Hissar, Peshawar

Views: 4737

Location Map


Bala Hissar, Peshawar


Bala Hissar, Peshawar Bala Hissar (Pashto/Urdu/Persian: قلعه بالا حصار‎) is one of the most historic places of Peshawar. The word Bala Hissar is from Dari Persian, meaning, “elevated or high fort”. The name was given by the Pashtun King Timur Shah Durrani (1773–1793), who used the fort as the winter capital of the Afghan Durrani Empire, with the summer capital being in Kabul. The Sikh empire who conquered Peshawar in the early 19th century named it Samir Garh in 1834 but the name did not become popular.
The Fort has been the headquarters of the Frontier Corps since 1949.
The imposing Bala Hisar Fort and its bleak ramparts still appear to monitor movement along the Grand Trunk Rd. Babur first built a fort here in 1526 after capturing Peshawar. It was a royal residence for the Afghan Durrani dynasty before being captured, trashed, and in 1834, rebuilt in mud by the Sikhs (replaced by brick by the British). It's now the headquarters of the Frontier Corps. Access inside is limited, but there's a small museum and great views over the city from the ramparts.

Address: The fort stands on a high mound in the northwestern corner of Peshawar City.

Wikipedia: Bala Hissar


 Bala Hissar Peshawar

 

Landmarks < Peshawar < Peshawar District < Khyber Pakhtunkhwa < Pakistan

Nearby locations < 1 km


Add New Place
comments powered by Disqus